PTA volunteers coordinate the Parent Education topics at WCI based on feedback/concerns shared from parents and school staff and/or support the Walnut Creek School District in hosting Parent Education topics. Topics vary, but most address the challenges of parenting an adolescent.
2019 PARENT EDUCATION Events & Materials FROM WCSD:
Vaping Topic by ADAPT & WCSD, Wednesday, October 16th at 7pm in the WCI MUR
- The speakers from Alcohol and Drug Abuse Prevention Team (ADAPT) shared these parent presentation materials to support families in continuing the conversation at home.
- This attachment provides parents information about the kinds of devices that exist, what they look like, what they are called and how they are used/filled.
SCREENAGERS the Next Chapter, Wednesday, November 6th at 7pm in the WCI Gym. RSVP’s recommended (see eNews for link)
Parent Education Materials/Presentations:
Incoming 6th Graders & Resources for Back to School Worries
- Click here for helpful tips related to the transition to middle school.
- Back to School Worry Tips for Parents from California PTA
- Alcohol and Other Popular Drugs (WCPD)
- Marijuana, Wax and Vape Pens
- For ongoing articles about tech, screens and teens subscribe to Tech Talk Tuesdays or click on Resources Tab at https://www.screenagersmovie.com/
Parent Education Library:
Our students and teachers are very fortunate to have a wonderful library at their disposal. But did you know that we have a parent education collection within our library?
These books are available for checkout by parents. Some of the useful titles in this collection include:
- The Hurried Child: Growing up Too fast, Too Soon,
- Reviving Ophelia: Saving the Selves of Adolescent Girls.
Our newest additions include:
- Raising a Son and Raising Daughter both by Don Elium, who was a previous Brown Bag Lunch speaker.
Just come in and ask to be added to our patron database. We will be happy to help you find books on topics you are interested in. Come in to see what we have to offer. And if you have any books you are no longer using but you think would help another parent, we happily accept donations.